Tuesday 1 March 2011

Day 1

So, yesterday I had my “last meal.”  Actually, it was a progressive set of last meals that began on Thursday when I finally made up my mind to do this diet.  Friday night I had “Brinner” or breakfast for dinner, including hash browns, cheese fries, and waffles.  Saturday I baked my own bread.  Sunday I ate pancakes and fried rice.  And yesterday I had porridge, a sandwich on a baguette, Doritos, Twix, fried chicken, and fries.  I probably gained a few pounds in anticipation of *hopefully* losing a few.  A bit self-defeating, I know.  

In an effort to be scientific, I’ve started tracking the carbs, fat, and calorie counts of everything I eat in a Google doc.  I’ll share it with you all here.  However, I haven’t been able to make it to the gym in the morning to weigh myself, so actual weight gained/lost will not be scientifically measured for now.  Part of me feels good about that, since I’m afraid that if I don’t see progress I might scrap this thing.  So, I’ve decided to unscientifically monitor any weight changes by recording how I fit in my jeans and which belt notch I’m using.  

The highlight of the day was getting Nandos for lunch.  Their peri-peri chicken is amazing, and I can eat it with the skin!  That perk definitely helped me feel less deprived, especially since I’ve been seriously cutting out fat (that’s where the calories are!) for the last year.  

On the way back to the office we passed a girl in a JLS sweatshirt.  This prompted my colleague, David, to go on a rant about how awful and over-exposed the band is.  And to be fair, they are over-exposed.  They have JLS-brand condoms, for God sake.  This seems to be a conflict, as their core audience is probably 13 and sweet Jesus I hope they’re not having sex yet. Though, paradoxically, JLS condoms might actually be a good thing as I imagine that their main function is to promote abstinence, which is, after all, the safest form of birth control.  Think about it.  No self-respecting guy would use a condom based on a boy band. Any woman hooking up with a guy would most likely start questioning his sexuality if she saw him pulling those babies out of his wallet. And any guy asked by a girl to wear a JLS condom would probably run in the opposite direction. Its like the Google Goggles of birth control.  Or natural selection.  

Without further ado, here’s day 1.

Mood:  Initially groggy but hunger has stayed in check, so surprisingly optimistic
Jeans:  Fat jeans, but at least they’re not tight
Belt notch:  4th notch in
 
Food
Carbs (g)
Fat (g)
Calories
Soft-boiled egg
trace
7.6
103
Sausages
0.9
21.9
281
Nandos 1/4 chicken
3.1
2.4
135
Mixed-leaf salad
3
0.5
20
Beef with peppercorns
0
20.2
250
Broccoli
4.48
0.28
43.4
 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't picture JLS's first product placement to be condoms. I would have picked mascara for boys, or manscara, as the industry calls it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plz put up the caloric total per group, add in a protein column and the % breakdown for each group

    You can also do calorie tracking on these websites that will spit out fancy graphs and stuff i think
    http://www.fitday.com/
    http://www.livestrong.com/thedailyplate/


    Also this website is considered to be one of the best resources for women, exercise and lifting
    http://www.stumptuous.com/

    ReplyDelete