Tuesday 15 March 2011

Day 15

So, I’ve been following the events in Japan.  I think I’ve watched a video of the tsunami hitting a town, capsizing boats and sweeping cars and houses away about 10 times.  The level of loss and destruction blows my mind.  Every time there’s a natural disaster of that scale--the previous tsunami in Thailand, Hurricane Katrina, Haiti--I am in always shocked by the terrible power of nature.  I think that sometimes we forget it because we’ve built so many tools to bend nature to our will.  But she definitely has a mind of her own.

The tsunami reached my parents in Hawaii on Friday.  Apparently the water level rose over 13 feet with giant swells.  Some boats capsized and the force of the water dislodged the large boulders comprising the harbour wall, making it unsafe to sail in to or out of the channel.  Luckily everyone is safe, though the fact that the island has the 2nd highest sea cliffs in the world definitely puts my mind at ease.

Yesterday I finally finished moving!  Everything in the old flat is out and I’ve vacuumed and cleaned everything.  Now that its all clean and clutter-free I almost want to move back in again!  It probably doesn’t help that I’m still getting used to the new flat.  Its a bit smaller and I’m definitely feeling the lack of space.  It is a really good excuse to get rid of more of my stuff, but I’m finding it difficult.  I blame my mother.  She’s very unsentimental about things.  When I was in high school she asked me to go through art I made when I was little and decide what to keep.  I expected  to see piles of old art projects, but when she showed me what she kept there were only 5 “paintings.”  And she wanted to get rid of more!  Though given that this woman orchestrated international moves every 3-4 years my entire life I think I’m beginning to understand.

Mood:  Wistful
Jeans:  Fat jeans
Belt notch:  4th notch in

Food
Carbs (g)
Fat (g)
Calories
Protein
Hard-boiled egg (x2)
trace
15.2
206
 
Bacon
1
5.5
83
7.3
Tuna with mayo, tomato, cucumber
3
25.4
372.6
43.6
Salad with French dressing
5.9
11.1
125
2
Thai Thai dinner -- beef and chicken dishes, no rice
? - very
low
?
?
?
Way too much wine
20

540
 



No comments:

Post a Comment