Friday 4 March 2011

Day 4

Its Friday!!!  I’m in a good mood.  I had bacon for breakfast.  Bacon is possibly the most perfect food.  Flavourful, crispy, salty.  Yummmmmmm.  And, on top of bacon, I had decaf coffee!  Normally I drink my coffee with milk and a ton of sweetner (like 5 Splenda packets).  I’d like to blame it on the quality of the coffee, but I also have a sweet tooth.  Anyways, I’m drinking my decaf black with no sweetener and, surprisingly, its not that bad.  Who knew?  The world is just full of surprises.

I’ve not had issues with hunger today.  Yesterday I felt hungry most of the afternoon, even though I had a salad and chicken.  Today I’m feeling satisfied.  I think that’s a good step--maybe my body is adjusting to the diet.  

I was re-reading a section of How We Get Fat yesterday and it was the part on how overeating and “laziness” are symptoms of obesity and not causes.  The author was discussing an experiment done on mice.  Scientists removed the ovaries from normal, healthy mice.  One set of mice was given unlimited access to food and they started eating like crazy, growing fat.  Interestingly, another set of mice without ovaries were put on a controlled diet.  These mice because sedentary and also grew fat, at the expense of nurturing their muscles and neural development.  What the experiment shows is that estrogen has a direct impact on the growth of fat (aka adiposity).  Estrogen inhibits an enzyme called LPL, which takes energy and deposits it in fat cells.  If you have low estrogen, there’s more LPL, which turns the food you eat into fat.  Even if you restrict your diet the food still goes to fat.  This starves your muscles, etc. of energy which makes you lazy and makes you hungry as your body craves calories to carry out basic functions.  So, overeating and laziness are the symptoms, not the cause of obesity.  Its such a paradigm shift!

Mood:  Content
Jeans:  Fat jeans
Belt notch:  4th notch in


Food
Carbs (g)
Fat (g)
Calories
Protein
Hard-boiled eggs
trace
15.2
206

Bacon
1
5.5
83
7.3
Tuna salad w/ mayo
0.4
22.8
370
41
M&S salad
2.8
0.4
20
1.1
Roasted chicken leg
0.6
17.7
295
32.4
Asparagus
2
0.6
25
2.9
Sauteed mushrooms
26
0
26
4
 

No comments:

Post a Comment