Thursday 24 March 2011

Day 24

It is a human trait to try to organise the world by categorizing things.  We all do it.  For some reason, I think its really fun.  In particular, I like to categorize people.  It must be my anthropology background.  Or maybe its because I love to people watch.  Or maybe its my way of compensating for being so bad at understanding people--I create heuristics to help guide my interactions with them.

Anyways, I thought today I’d discuss one of the classes of people that I’ve identified:  the hollow person.

The hollow person is someone who lacks a core--there’s no sense of what they care about or what they stand for.  The chief aim of this person’s life is to be one of the cool people.  But they’re not intrinsically cool.  So they steal.  They fill their empty core with transitory fads and the thoughts and opinions of others.  At a party, they’re the person hanging back watching everyone, cataloging their actions, interactions, and conversations to peddle later either as gossip or as their own thoughts and feelings.  They’re monitoring shifiting tides to see who the latest member of the cool set is to whom they should be ingratiating themselves and who is on their way out that they should drop.  The hollow person only likes you as much as you’re useful to them in seeming cool.

As you can probably guess, I do not trust hollow people.  First of all, they are giant gossips.  But more importantly, you can’t trust someone who doesn’t stand for anything.  There’s no belief structure guiding their morals and behaviour.  If their driving force in life is coolness, its only a matter of time before they screw you over in their pursuit of their goal.  

I’m a pretty open person--I like to say that I’m an “over-sharer.”  My whole family comprises over-sharers.  You want to know something about me?  Or what I think?  I’ll probably tell you.  And I’ll probably tell you more than you want to know.  And I ought to be more discriminating about who I share with, but I’m not.  But I do watch myself around hollow people.  If I’m going to over-share, I want to feel like its going into safe hands.  I want to feel like there’s a possibility for mutual exchange, either in that conversation or sometime in the future.  But there can be no exchange with a hollow person; they have nothing of their own to share.  And who knows for what nefarious purposes the hollow person will use my words.  


Mood:  Its sunny out!
Jeans:  Fat jeans
Belt notch:  4th/5th notch in

Food
Carbs (g)
Fat (g)
Calories
Protein
Scrambled eggs
trace
15.2
206

Roasted chicken leg
0.6
17.7
295
32.4
Santini Salad
5.9
11.1
125
2
Edam cheese (50 g)
0.1
11.9
159
12.9
Pork leg (with crackling!)
0
11
370
38
Baby sprouts
3.3
1.1
34
2.8
Red wine
3
0
125
0

No comments:

Post a Comment